Ninjaman Murder Case Verdict Pushes Back To Monday




Ninjaman had to wait a little longer to know his fate after the verdict in his murder case was pushed back to Monday.

On Monday (November 20), the seven-member jury will resume deliberation and is expected to return a verdict in the almost a month-long case. On Friday, the presiding judge, Justice Martin Gayle, gave his summation of the case and reviewed the evidence presented. He told the judge to only focus on the facts of the case and they should not discuss the case with anyone who is not on the jury panel.

Ninjaman, real name Desmond Ballentine, his son Jamiel, and Dennis Clayton are all on trial for the March 2009 murder of Ricardo Johnson, aka Trooper. The prosecution says that Johnson was gunned down in a yard on Marl Road, Kingston 13. One witness, who testified against the three men, told the court that he could have also been a second victim, but he managed to escape the gunfire and ran for his life. He is now placed in a witness protection program. Ninjaman had a mild heart attack in court when one overseas-based witness was giving testimony. He spent a little less than a week in the hospital and may require heart surgery.

Ninjaman and his three co-accused were on bail since 2012, but last month a judge revoked their bail and ordered them back behind bars. The case was then transferred to a special court that deals with cases over five years old. The artist says he is innocent and is anxious to get the case behind him. Ninja is an icon in dancehall and has been in the business since the 1970s. He started deejaying on sound systems from the age of fourteen. It wasn’t until the early 80s that he gain recognition as an artist in the early days of modern dancehall music.

If found guilty, the dancehall legend could be sent to prison for life.

 



Ninjaman Murder Case Verdict Expected Tomorrow




Ninjaman will likely know his fate tomorrow when a high court judge is expected to hand down a ruling in his murder trial.

The dancehall legend is back behind bars after being discharged from a hospital earlier this week after having a mild heart attack. The prosecution closed their case last week Friday and the defense attorney submitted a no case submission. The trial is being held behind closed doors on camera because of the nature of the case.

Ninjaman is on trial for the murder of Ricardo Johnson, known in the community as Trooper. The dancehall artist, whose real name is Desmond Ballentine, his son Jamiel, and their friend Dennis Clayton were charged with murder and shooting with intent for the March 2009 murder. One witness, who testified in the trial, said the three men fired two shots after him, but he managed to escape the gunfire.

The “Kingston Town” deejay has been on bail since 2012, but last month, High Court judge, Justice Martin Gayle, revoked his bail and ordered him back behind bars. The case was transferred to a special court that deals with cases over five years old. Ninjaman has maintained his innocence and previously told us that he is anxious to put this case behind him.

Ninja Man Released From Hospital Judge Rule Case Must Move Forward


Ninja Man was released from the hospital a few days ago and is now back in police custody.

The dancehall legend was absent from his high profile murder trial for about a week following an hospitalization about a week and a half ago. His attorney said that he suffered a mild heart attack in court and was rushed to a local hospital where he was admitted and may need to undergo heart surgery. While he was in the hospital, high court judge, Justice Martin Gayle, rule that the murder trial must proceed because he has a case to answer to.

The crown closed its case against the artist on Friday and Ninja Man then gave an unworn testimony. This means that the trial could be wrapped up within the next week when the three co-accused will know their fate. Ninja Man, born Desmond Ballentine, his son Jamiel Ballentine, and another man, Dennis Clayton, are charged with the murder of Ricardo Johnson, known in the Kingston 11 community as Ricky Trooper. Cops say he was gunned down in March 2009 on Marl Road, Kingston 11, by the three men who were also charged with shooting with intent.

The prosecution introduced seven witnesses in the trial including an overseas based witness and three civilians. Ninja’s defense attorney responded with a no case submission.

Ninja Man and his co-accused have maintained their innocence.

Ninja Man Remains Hospitalize Murder Trial Continues


Ninja Man remains in the hospital but his high profile murder trial is proceeding without him.

The dancehall legend was rushed to the hospital on Friday after collapsing in court from a suspecting heart attack. The judge adjourns the trial until Monday, but the artist was unable to attend court. His attorney, Valrie Neita-Robertson, confirmed that he gave permission to continue the case without him. This means that he could learn the verdict while on his hospital bed.

“We went on with the case today (yesterday,” Neita-Robertson said. “He has given permission to us to finish it without him.” Ninja Man reportedly started feeling severe chest pain and difficulty breathing while in court on Friday. A foreign-based witness was set to give testimony against the artist before he fell ill. The case continued in the Supreme Court in Kingston yesterday and today.

Ninja Man, real name Desmond Ballentine, his son Jamiel Ballentine, and another man, Dennis Clayton, are all on trial for the murder and shooting with intent. Cops say the three men shot and killed Ricardo “Trooper” Johnson on Marl Road, Kingston 11, in March 2009. Ninja Man received bail in 2012 but was remanded in custody last month while the trial commences. High Court judge, Justice Martin Gayle, transferred the case to a special court that deals with cases older than five years. This case has seen roughly two dozens mentions and 17 trial delays since 2009.

If found guilty, Ninja Man could be sent to prison for life.